Thursday, March 09, 2006

Google breaks the web!

Hundreds of thousands if not millions of websites use Google's Adwords and Adsense programs to attract traffic to their websites. In order to track the traffic generated they all use a little bit of code like this:
<script src=""
<script type="text/javascript">
_uacct = "UA-156123-1";
Unfortunately the domain '' has not been resolving all day, which means that every page with this code has to to wait the browser has decided that it has waited long enough for a respose from '' before they finish loading. This time is usually around a minute.

This means that millions of pages around the web are taking over a minute to load. Or in other terms, Google broke the web!
On the subject of Google, I found some nifty HTML comments which should make my adwords more relevant to my posts and therefor more attractive to visitors.
<!-- Google_ad_section_start -->
This one tells google what content is suitable as a basis for generating adverts.
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
This one tell Google where the suitable content ends.
<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->
And this one tells Google what content is in advertising terms gobblygook!
On a final Google note. My Adwords campaign has been, how shall I say; a bit impotent. I managed to earn a grand total of $4.44 for the entire month of February. March is looking more promising. God bless the person who visited the site today (09 March 2006) and clicked on the advert. You earned me $1.04 with that click, please visit more often.


Post a Comment

<< Home